In 1962, President Kennedy proclaimed May 15 as National Peace Officers Memorial Day and the calendar week in which May 15 falls, as National Police Week. Established by a joint resolution of Congress in 1962, National Police Week pays special recognition to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others.
May is National Bicycle Safety Month
Bicycling is a great way to stay in shape, commute, and spend time outdoors. Flagler County has a variety of biking trails including Bulow Trails, Graham Swamp, Lehigh Trail, and Linear Park. But before you hop on a bike, make sure you are safe. May is National Bicycle Safety Month. Remember that bikes share the road with motorists, so it is important to avoid hazards and bike safely.
- Wear a properly fitted helmet that meets safety standards.
- Follow the rules of the road; cyclists must follow the same rules as motorists.
- Ride single-file in the direction of traffic, and watch for opening car doors and other hazards.
- Use hand signals when turning and use crosswalks at intersections.
- Wear bright clothing and ride during the day. If riding at night, wear reflective clothing and have lights in the front and back.
- Make sure the bike is equipped with reflectors on the rear, front, pedals and spokes.