Early 1900’s, the Bunnell Development Company begins growth in the Township of Bunnell, Florida.
Bunnell City Hall – 200 South Church Street City Hall, otherwise known as the “Civic Center” was built in 1936-37 with Work Progress Administration (WPA) grant funding. Superintendent Z.D. Holland and foreman John Swain enlisted men from the community during the Depression. The stone foundation is constructed entirely of coquina, which was quarried between Bunnell and Flagler Beach. The workers cut the coquina with hatchets to produce the flat-faced smooth walls. The lintel or stonework , over the doors and windows were cut into wedges to support the arches. A heart shape stone was perfected by careful hands and may still be seen today in the hall. Beautiful Lake Lucille, located in front of City Hall, was once a cypress mud hole. Workers shoveled mud out of the hole into wheelbarrows, then used it to level the four blocks behind City Hall. The “Civic Center” serves many functions now and in the past: Cabbage Balls, School Dances, Meeting Hall, Commission Chambers, Wedding Hall, and many, many more.
Original Flagler County Courthouse, 201 East Moody Boulevard – This historic building was constructed around 1926 in a Neoclassical style and was dedicated on July 28, 1927. The noted Florida architect Wilbur Talley designed the patriarchal landmark. As the County Seat, the Court House became the heart of commerce in Bunnell.
Holden House Museum, 204 East Moody Boulevard – Constructed in 1918, the Holden House is an excellent example of the Craftsman Bungalow construction style, including a large dormer and a deep-set front porch. It was built for Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Holden as a wedding gift. They raised their two daughters, Alta Jane and Eleanor, and continued to reside there until the 1970’s. It is owned by the Flagler County Historical Society and is open on Wednesdays from 10 AM to 1 PM for tours.
The Flagler Playhouse, 301 East Moody Boulevard – This building sits on the site of the original First Baptist Church of Bunnell and is now being used as a venue for plays and musical productions. The facility was dedicated on July 12, 1959.
William Henry “Doc” Deen House, 805 East Moody Boulevard – Built in 1918 in a Frame Vernacular style, generations of the Deen family have occupied this homestead. Mr. Deen was an early Irish potato farmer who became the Department of Agriculture Farm Demonstrator for Flagler County. A small playhouse was constructed next to the main house to mimic the architecture of the main house.
George Moody House, 1000 East Moody Boulevard – This circa 1917 building is an excellent example of the Craftsman style with its one-and-one-half story wood frame structure, full width porch, and gabled roof. This building’s historic fabric remains completely intact except for the improvements on the roofing materials. George was Isaac I. Moody’s brother, one of the founder’s of Flagler County. George Moody was prominent in the development of Ocean City (now known as Flagler Beach) where he was elected its first Mayor in 1925.
The Little Red School House, 800 Howe Street – Located within the campus of Bunnell Elementary School is The Little Red School House. This is a museum that captures the look and components of the single room school houses that once served Flagler County. Come see the wonderful memories that are contained in The Little Red School House museum, a building constructed in 1938 as part of the Bunnell High School for the FFA (Future Farmers of America) students.
The Old Brick Road, North Railroad Street and County Road 13 – A portion of the original “Old Brick Road” traversed through downtown Bunnell. A portion of the Old Brick Road may still be seen and is being preserved by the City for future generations to remember.
The Old Brick Road, North Railroad Street and County Road 13 – A portion of the original “Old Brick Road” traversed through downtown Bunnell. A portion of the Old Brick Road may still be seen and is being preserved by the City for future generations to remember. Pictured above is Robert Moody, Jr. on a portion of the Old Brick Road at a very young age.
The Lambert House, 200 North Railroad Street – This home was built in 1909 and is the oldest existing building in Bunnell. It was the home of James Frank “Major” Lambert, who was one of the founders of the Bunnell Development Company.
Old Bunnell State Bank Building, 101-107 North Bay Street – The Bunnell State Bank was created in 1910 and moved into their new building in 1917. Beautiful murals may be seen within the historic building and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
As we conclude our tour through the City, past and present, we invite you to explore the many faceted areas of the “Norman Rockwell” style community we so proudly call home.