The City of Bunnell urges you to use great care when choosing a contractor. Using a licensed contractor will ensure all work is done in accordance with Code requirements and that they have the proper insurance to protect you in case an injury occurs during the repair. Contractor Licensing can be confusing when determining when a license is required and what type. This can make it easy for consumers to be scammed. Residents should be especially guarded with door-to-door solicitors.
You are strongly encouraged to call your City of Bunnell Community Development Department to ask if a person has the correct license. We would be pleased to assist you in looking up information and providing advice on how to choose the right contractor. The number is 386-437-7516.
Quick tips on picking a contractor:
- Contractors other than debris removal and landscaping/tree removal are required to have a license (not to be confused with a business tax receipt).
- Ask to see a copy of a license of any company you consider hiring to perform repairs or check the state website at https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp. All advertisements including business cards and vehicles are required to include the license number.
- Fence contractors; dock contractors; window, door and garage door contractors must be either state or locally licensed.
- Roofing contractors are required to be state licensed.
- To check locally licensed contractors, you may check the Flagler County website at http://flaglercounty.org/index.aspx?NID=633
- Use local contractors who are already established in your community.
- Do not make a payment without a written contract.
- Contracts should include the license number. Read all work agreements or authorizations before signing and ask questions until you fully understand the documents.
- Contractors are not permitted to collect more than 10 percent of the contract price up-front.
- Do not pay the final payment until you have seen proof of a final inspection from the City of Bunnell. (This does not apply to tree removal.)
- To find out if a contractor has previously obtained permits with the City of Bunnell, please call (386)437-7516.
Some of the common lines used by unlicensed individuals or fly-by-night contractors to try to urge you to hire them include:
- "It’s quicker and cheaper if you get the permit yourself." Permit turnaround time and cost is the same for owners or contractors. It is NOT cheaper or quicker for you to obtain the permit.
- "If you don’t sign the contract now and provide payment, you will be months out before we can get to you." This is a tactic used during times of distress, preying on raw emotions. In most cases, following large-scale destruction events, local contractors do not end up with the work due to the number of outside licensed and unlicensed contractors using heavy solicitation.
Please call your City of Bunnell Community Development Department to ask if a person has the correct license. We would be pleased to assist you in looking up information and providing advice on how to choose the right contractor. The number is 386-437-7516.
If your home or business was damaged:
- Photograph all damaged areas.
- Call you insurance company ASAP to file a claim.
- Make temporary repairs to prevent further damage.
- The Florida Department of Financial Services is an additional resource if you need more information. The Consumer Information Helpline is 877-693-5236.