Public Records Request

Any person may make a Public Records Request at any time in accordance with Florida Statutes Chapter 199.07. Information or notification will be provided within 48 hours of a Request. Additional notification will be provided if your Request exceeds a reasonable time and any related costs will be made known prior to providing document copies.

Requests for records can be made anonymously and do not need to be made in writing. However, if the request is lengthy and/or involved, you may prefer to make your request in writing, using this form.

Public Records Request Form

Frequently Asked Questions: Requesting a Public Record from the City of Bunnell

What are public records?

“…all documents, papers, letters, maps, books, tapes, photographs, films, sound recordings, data processing software, or other material, regardless of the physical form, characteristics, or means of transmission, made or received pursuant to law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by any agency. “ 119.011(11), F.S.

Who may request to view or copy records held by the City of Bunnell?

Chapter 119, Florida Statutes covers public records. This law provides citizens with unparalleled access to the records of government. Section 119.07(1)(a) states: “Every person who has custody of a public record shall permit the record to be inspected and examined by any person desiring to do so, at any reasonable time, under reasonable conditions, and under supervision by the custodian of the public record or his designee.”

May I inspect all of the records that the City has in its possession?

Not all records are open for inspection. Certain exemptions to the Florida Public Records Law do exist. Section 119.071 lists the general exemptions from inspection or copying of public records. There are over 1,000 exemptions. Some examples of exemptions are Social Security numbers, medical information, deferred compensation records, personal contact information for Police, Code Enforcement Officers and Firefighters, surveillance information, water treatment plant facility plans and blueprints, and active criminal investigative information. City staff is under no obligation to “create” a record that does not exist or to provide the information in any other format than that in which it exists.

Who may provide access to these records?

All departments within the City can assist with public records requests to citizens and outside agencies. The City Clerk’s office manages long-term and archived records.

Does the City have a copy of every record ever produced within?

Not all records are kept permanently. The City of Bunnell as a public agency is governed by the laws of the State of Florida. The State has established schedules that outline the minimum required retention period for records. The time period required varies from record to record.

Will I be charged for the fulfillment of my request?

There is a charge for copies: $ .15 for single-sided copies and $ .20 for double-sided copies for all requests over 20 pages (the first 20 pages are copied at no charge). DVDs and CDs are $1.00, unless you bring us a blank DVD/CD in trade. In addition, there is a service charge for any “reasonable” time spent over and above 30 minutes to fulfill records requests (the first 30 minutes shall be at no charge). This charge is determined based on the labor cost of the personnel providing the service. A cost estimate may be provided before the request is filled.

May I check a record out?

The City’s copy of a record cannot be borrowed or removed from the premises.

Is it possible to receive my request by email?

In many situations, the record may already exist in an electronic format and can easily be emailed to you. If the file is too large to go through email, it can be placed on a CD.

Who do I contact with my request?

You may contact the department which originates the document (For example: for building permit records, contact the Community Development Dept.). Requests can be made in person, in writing, by email, or by phone. For requests dealing with Police Department records, you may call 386-437-7508 or 386-206-4617. Otherwise, for general requests and information, the City Clerk’s office can be contacted at 386-437-7500.

Are any of the City’s records available via the Internet?

Yes. Records such as City Commission agenda packets and minutes, and ordinances are available online. Eventually, as time permits, more types of records will be available on the City’s website.